Thursday, September 15, 2011

Homemade Dry Erase Board!

Picture Frame Transformation...
I want to introduce you to the 'Affirmation Board'.  I have to say I stole the 'Affirmation Board' idea from my friend Rachel who has one in their bedroom to write awesome things to her husband.  Check out one of her posts to her awesome husband Phil:
I started thinking about dry erase boards and how boring they are... Even the cute colored ones aren't too exciting...  After writing on our mirror one day it occurred to me that any picture frame could become a dry erase board!  

Plus how cute would it be with scrapbook paper behind the glass - or even better scrap fabric - the thought makes me smile!  I love picture frames that aren't the normal 8x10 or 5x7 shape - something odd or fun or different just appeals to me (I LUV round or oval frames not that they are very good for pictures but for this - PERFECT).

Today I found this long frame at Goodwill for 2.99 (more than I wanted to pay but still the shape was perfect for my space).
First I popped out the picture and glass.  I wiped off the frame and used window cleaner on both sides of the glass.  Since natural wood doesn't really work in our bedroom I used some spray primer & paint I had on  hand to give it a simple black make-over.
It also occurred to me that it would be MUCH more romantic to use our pictures than scrapbook paper or fabric ;-)  This was really simple - I inserted color pictures into a word document - I formatted the pics to the lightest gray I could (you could use a pink frame with pink washout pics or any combo).  Then I cut the pictures and laid them out over the backside of the ducks.  I used spray adhesive to attach the pictures to the cardboard.  (If you were using fabric I would wrap it over the back of the cardboard for a clean edge and tight fit.
After I had the pics adhered to the cardboard and the paint was dry on the frame I put the glass back and then the picture cardboard in.  Finally I needed a cute way to hang it and a way to attach the dry erase marker.  I used some left over ribbon and staple gun to attach the ribbon.
I used 2 staples on each corner of the ribbon hanger and 2 on the side where I attached the marker ribbon.  I hot glued the marker to the opposite end of the ribbon. Finally I hung the new 'Affirmation Board' aka Homemade Dry Erase Board transformation from a picture frame!
It says 'How do I love thee???  Let me count the ways...' 
Then I used 4 fun pics of us together.  

Now if I had used fabric or scrapbook paper I wouldn't be able to have as much fun doing this...
I did write a little love note to my wonderful husband (after I had fun drawing on our faces...)

This was such a great project I'm on my way out to my favorite 'cheap' thrift store tomorrow to see what I can find.  I think every bedroom in our house needs an Affirmation Board - its a simple way to remind each other and our kids how much we love and appreciate them.  

This is a great way to encourage a child each morning too!!  Of course you could personalize the inside to suit the child - sports, pets, fun colors, possibilities are endless!

Check out some of my others (for sale at ReHab Fab downtown Van Wert Ohio)

Black & Animal print
This is my favorite so far - thick frame with classic background
Little Girls Ballet Board
Perfect for a babies room.

No comments: