Saturday, October 1, 2011

Wild Thing I think I love you - no sew vest

This has got to be the most simple no sew project EVER!  I must give credit to the gal who came up this - I ran across it on Pinterest and remembered a piece of jersey I had picked up last year.  Honestly I picked up this fabric with the intention of sewing a vest with a pattern that very similar vest.  Then when I saw the Behind the Scenes blog post I knew what I had to do...

This was my fabric - I had bought 1.5 yards (to use with my pattern that still remains unused).  It is a jersey fabric so it lays nicely and doesn't fray or tear.

Since I had 1.5 yards and Behind the Scenes called for 1 yard I cut my fabric to 36 inches long but left the 54" width as is.  

I measured 6 in in from the top and 6 in in from the bottom (see my green mark).  Then I made a 6" long line and cut along it. To make it more of a hole than a slit I cut out about 1" wide slit to accommodate arm holes.
Since it was a little looooong to begin with (fell below my bottom) I used a yard stick to cut an angle from the outside points up to the middle 7".  I love how it drapes and flows!!

But I was left with a half yard of fabric - the dilema was what to do with it?  I thought about making a hair flower then I hit brilliance check out what I did below!

There was enough fabric if I cut the piece in half to make a mini-vest for mini-me!!  I used the same technique as before only on a smaller scale for my little one.  Then since I still had 1/2 of a 1/2 a yard left and the oldest (who generally begs for her picture not to be put online anywhere.... begged for one too).

Hers ended up being a mini-vest since I didn't have a ton of fabric left - honestly this fits her style much more than a long one would have anyways!!

Check us out!!  We're going to debut our new No Sew Fabric Vests tomorrow at church - YEAH!

2 comments:

Julie said...

HOLY CRAP! I had to look really close in that last pic to figure out who was Gabby & who was you!
Does Pat feel left out? Haha :)

~M~ said...

Ha ha - I guess I didn't realize our hair was so similar from the back. She's almost as tall as me so it would take a second glance.